Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Millet cake with poppy filling (mákos kölestorta)

Millet cake with poppy seeds, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó
Using huge amount of poppy seeds is typical in Hungarian cuisine. Those, who are not familiar with Hungarian sweets, are often surprised to see such thick, black fillings, and what is more, whole cakes made of poppy seeds. I use several kilos of poppy seeds per year in the kitchen, and the other day I realized that I had only 10 dkg left.
But I had millet at home, which is said to be the oldest cereal that was used by Hungarians, or by the ancestors of Hungarians wandering at the steppe. Millet is gluten-free, takes care of your stomach and metabolism, protects your heart, repairs the body-tissues, lowers the risk of diabetes-II., helps prevent gallstones, and contains several valuable nutrients like manganese, tryptophan, magnesium, phosphorus. Wow, I decided to eat even more millet!
This cake tastes supernatural and clear. Next time I will use twice more poppy filling.

Millet cake with poppy seeds, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó
Ingredients
millet mash:
1 cup millet
2,5 cup milk
2 tablespoons honey

2,5 dkg butter
1 egg
1 tablespoon flour if needed

poppy filling
10 dkg minced poppy seeds
5 dkg sugar
1 egg
1 dl cream (30% fat)
1 tablespoon flour (use any kind of gluten-free flour if you want to go gluten-free)

I prepared the mash earlier. I just usually boil the milk and the millet for some minutes, then I add the honey, take it from the oven, cover the pot with 3 kitchen towels, and I return to see it is ready in 1 hour. I mix the mash with the butter, egg and a tablespoon of flour and poured 2/3 part of it into an oven. I mixed all ingredients of the poppy filling, then I dosed it to the top of the millet mash with a tablespoon. I mixed the poppy heaps slightly into the mash in order to get a nice outfit of the cake. I covered with the remaining of the millet. I baked the cake in about 40 min, at 180 C.

No comments:

Post a Comment