Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

My first tea in the garden with Hungarian cottage cheese pie (túrós pite)


cottage cheese pie, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó
With the first snowdrops opening their flowers I was out on the terrace to drink my first tea in the garden this spring. As I developed great enthusiasm towards cottage cheese this winter, I took some Hungarian cottage cheese pie with me.

My first tea in the garden, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó


We live outside, in the garden and on the terrace, from spring until fall. I wear coat and use blankets if it is too cold, but I use every minutes to enjoy open air. Drinking my tea with a snack sitting outside, looking at the plants of the garden is one of my daily joys.


I baked this cottage cheese pie remembering well one of my grandmothers, who often prepared a similar pastry, túrós lepény. She used pig lard to bake a pie (pite or lepény), and she would be astonished to see I waste butter for baking a dessert. There are both yeast and baking powder in this kind of pie.

cottage cheese pie, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó

Pastry:
25 dkg whole-wheat flour
10 dkg sugar (hopefully any kind of whole cane sugar)
10 dkg butter
1,5 dl milk
1 dkg yeast
0,5 package of baking powder
1 egg
1 egg yolk
pinch of salt

Filling:
0,5 kg cottage cheese
1 egg
2 egg white
1 tbls flour
1 sour cream (2 dl)
3 tbls sugar
raisins

cottage cheese pie, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó
After I mixed lukewarm milk with yeast, I kneaded all the ingredients into a flexible pastry, which I divided into two, and I let them rest for some minutes in the fridge. (The pastry doesn't need to come up!) After I prepared the filling, I rolled out the two pastry balls into 1 cm thin sheets, or even thinner. One of the pastry sheets went to the oven, with it's edges hanging over the oven, then creating a wall to prevent the filling from pouring. I put the filling and covered it with the other pastry sheet. I closed the ends of the pie and pierced the top of it with a folk. I baked at low heat (160 Celsius) until light brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment