Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Owl in the pie. Poppy pie with spicy chickpea (mákos pite fűszeres csicseriborsóval)

Poppy pie with spicy chickpea, photo: Ildikó Szilágyi-Nagy

I had to follow a milk-free diet for some days. It is difficult for a lacto-vegetarian person, but it made me rethink my beloved flavors without milk. Luckily, I was allowed to eat butter, so I could use it in this Hungarian-Indian poppy pie.
Poppy pie with spicy chickpea, photo: Ildikó Szilágyi-Nagy
I am fond of Indian chai, which I had to leave behind for some days because it contains cow milk. Instead, I transferred it's reach, spicy flavor into a Hungarian poppy seed pie. To this one, I used oath milk instead of cow milk. So I also developed the home made oath milk of my taste. (I may post it next time.)
Poppy pie with spicy chickpea, photo: Ildikó Szilágyi-Nagy
Chickpea is often used in our kitchen, but I have never used it for a sweet dish before. Now I don't understand how I could do without it! Chickpea has been used in Hungarian cuisine traditionally for a long period of time. It was a common crop of village gardens together with other legumes, mainly with kinds of beans and other peas. Distinction of farm culture in Hungary after the World War II. also did away with diverse farm produces and the brilliantly diverse style of eating. Chickpea also became forgotten, and it was reborn here only as an ingredient of Asian cuisine. It's Hungarian name was 'bagolyborsó', which means 'owl pea'. Obviously this name follows the shape of a chickpea, but as for me, I guess eating plenty of chickpea shows you are as wise as an owl. As 'owl pea' does you good.
Pastry:
25 dkg whole-wheat flour
10 dkg sugar (hopefully any kind of whole cane sugar)
10 dkg butter
1,5 dl oath milk
1 dkg yeast
0,5 package of baking powder
2 eggs
pinch of salt
Poppy pie with spicy chickpea, photo: Ildikó Szilágyi-Nagy
Poppy filling:
200 gr minced poppy seeds
75 gr sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1,5-2 dl cream (30% fat)
1 egg
Spicy chickpea filling:
0,5 cup of chickpea
2-3 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 tablespoon home made vanilla sugar
0,5 teaspoon Indian tea spice (chai garam masala)
0,5 teaspoon cinnamon
Preparation: I soaked the chickpea overnight. I cooked it in water. I reserved also the water for further use.

Poppy pie with spicy chickpea, photo: Ildikó Szilágyi-Nagy
After I had mixed lukewarm (home made) oath milk with yeast, I kneaded all the ingredients into a flexible pastry, which I divided into two, and I let them rest for some minutes in the fridge while I prepared the two fillings. (The pastry doesn't need to come up!)
I smashed the cooked chickpea in a food processor, using it's boiler water and 2-3 tablespoon olive oil to moisturize the mixture until I get a rich creamy consistence. I flavored the filling with 1-2 tablespoon vanilla sugar, chai garam masala and cinnamon. (Using the amount of spices above you will get a really spicy filling, but it will vivify the whole pie. In fact, this amount of chickpea filling makes a thin layer, so you can double the amount of the whole chickpea filling if you wish.)
Poppy pie with spicy chickpea, photo: Ildikó Szilágyi-Nagy
For the poppy filling, I combined all ingredients listed above. I got a thick, black mash.
After I prepared the filling, I rolled out the two pastry balls into 1 cm thin sheets, or even thinner. One of the pastry sheets went to the oven (about 30x20 cm), with it's edges hanging over the oven, then creating a wall to prevent the filling from pouring. I put the chickpea filling first in a slight layer, and then added the poppy filling gingerly. I prevented them from mixing in order to get two separated layers. I covered the filling with the other pastry sheet. I closed the ends of the pie and pierced the top of it with a folk. I made some vintage style decoration using bands of pastry. I baked it at low heat (160 Celsius) until light brown.
Poppy pie with spicy chickpea, photo: Ildikó Szilágyi-Nagy


No comments:

Post a Comment