Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

In the mood for light - Sunflower mikro-greens (napraforgó-fű)

Spring salad with sunflower micro-greens, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó
I always wanted to know to where sunflowers look at night. Last summer I made a trip at night to the closest sunflower field. There was a huge number of mosquitoes waiting for torturing me, but I persistently marched towards the sunflowers. Even an enormous number of mosquitoes attacked. The flowers themselves looked to the East. They seemed to turn back quite quickly after sunset! They must have waited for the new day eagerly.
Sunflower micro-green, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó 
Sunflower micro-green, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó
     I was really keen on sprouting a year ago, and began to study various methods. They are all based on sprouting trays, of course, and on a lot of numbers. How long you have to do and what. As I have dyscalculia disorder, and I dislike producing too fussy things in my kitchen, I understood I would probably never sprout myself.
At the end of the winter I changed my mind. When the sprouts went into little plants, they made me realize I am fond of mikro-greens. Sunflower is grown in tons in Hungary for it's oil. Most of Hungarian people use sunflower oil for cooking.
Sunflower micro-green, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó 
The seeds make a traditional snack, szotyola or szotyi. My grandmother likes buying sunflower seeds in their hulls, because she likes peeling them. I bet we peeled millions of sunflower seeds when I was a young girl!
Sunflower micro-greens, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó 
Now I am used to planting sunflowers as mikro-greens. They are delicious and they grow quickly in the windowsill.
Meanwhile I prepared my fourth tray of sunflower mikro-greens, other young plants began to grow in the greenhouse. We didn't plant them all into the garden, so we obtained several kind of young salads, which, together with the sunflower mikro-greens, made our first fresh greeny salad of the spring.
Spring salad with sunflower micro-greens, photo: Szilágyi-Nagy Ildikó 

No comments:

Post a Comment